19 Jan Warning Signs You Need a New Roof
It can be difficult to know whether your roof has any issues and even harder to tell whether it needs repairing. Hence, we outline the warning signs that indicate that you need repairs or even a new roof. It is vital to check for these warning signs, as they can often lead to larger and more expensive issues in the future.
Firstly, inspect the interior of the roof for warning signs. Look out for:
- Dark streaks – this could be a sign of mold and that moisture is leaking in through the roof.
- Sagging roof – this could be a serious sign that you need a new roof, as it indicates structural issues with the building.
- Water damage and leaking – if you find water inside your home, you should check your roof, as water is most likely getting in from broken tiles or broken flashing.
- Light from outside – if you can see light entering in from outside, there are holes and cracks in your roof, as a secure roof should not let any light in.
Next, check the exterior of the roof. Exterior issues could explain some of the issues presenting themselves inside. This may also uncover new problems which are not visible from the inside. Exterior warning signs include:
- Damaged tiles – if roof tiles are cracked, rotting, buckling, torn, missing, worn, curled, or loose, they will need replacing.
- Age – over time, weathering and the elements take their toll on your roof. If your roof is over 20 years old it will most likely need replacing.
- Algae, moss, mold – algae, moss and mold are most common in shaded areas, indicate moisture damage on the roof, and can lead to rot.
- Granules in guttering – if you find pieces of roof tiles and shingle in your gutter, this is a sign that your roof is deteriorating.
- Sitting water – this shows that water is not being adequately drained, and is common on flat roofs. You need to replace materials to make sure drainage is sufficient, as it can also lead to sagging and mold.
- Insecure guttering – if the guttering is coming away from the house, this indicates that the roofing is coming loose due to damage, rot or wear.
- Flashing – check that the lead flashing around vents and chimneys is secure, as this can lead to leaks.
- Sagging roof – your roof should be level, so this is a sign of a weakened and compromised structure, in which the roof needs to be replaced as it could collapse.
You should check the interior and exterior of your roof regularly to make sure it is not showing any of these warning signs. If you think your roof is showing any of these signs, you could need a new roof or require repairs urgently. To be certain of the potential damages to your home, it is advised to consult a chartered surveyor who can undertake a roof survey to ensure that you take the necessary course of action.
If you have issues, don’t wait to resolve them as they will most likely worsen in time and turn into even bigger issues. Spot the warning signs early to fix any damages now and prevent further and more expensive damage later on.